Tips to Prepare for The Pharmaprix Weekend to End Women’s Cancers!
Cappino is excited to support the event this year with physiotherapists and a dietitian on-hand to help participants along the way! We’ll also be at tonight’s information session at Villa Maria to answer any training questions!
The Pharmaprix Weekend to End Women’s Cancers is a two-day 60km, or one-day 32km test of both mental and physical strength for those of all ages and abilities. Here are some tips to get yourself ready:
- Follow the Suggested Training Guide!!
When you sign up for the Weekend, you will be given Suggested Training Guidelines, with proper training progression to prepare yourself for the big weekend. For the best results, it is best to make yourself a schedule with specific timeslots in your day allotted to training—not only will you be more likely to train, you will be more motivated!
- Participate in Organized Activities
The staff and volunteers for the Weekend work hard to organize Training Walks and activities to help prepare you for the big weekend, why not grab a friend or two and have fun!
Participating in activities like running, swimming and team sports are a great way to make your legs stronger and prevent injuries. Be sure to train outside, in proper shoes and with different terrains (up-hill, down-hill, etc.) to fully prepare yourself for the walk.
- Interval Training
Interval training is alternating between fast-paced and slower-paced walking. This will help you build endurance and stamina for the Weekend. For example, walk quickly for one minute, then return to your normal pace for a few minutes.
- Check Your Shoes!
Visit a specialized store and get help in selecting the best pair of shoes for your feet. While they might be expensive, a good pair of shoes should be thought of as an investment that will prevent injuries and help you perform to your full potential!
While we always hope for sun, odds are it might rain during the walk. Test your shoes and clothes in different temperatures. For the Weekend, be sure to pack different types of clothing to prepare for the weekend. Specially designed, synthetic fabrics help to wick away moisture and keep you warmer than cotton fabrics.
- Extra Sleep & Energy
Get extra hours of sleep and be sure to hydrate properly in the days before the Weekend. It will help your body build up fuel reserves and properly prepare for the big challenge.
Picking the RIGHT Pair of Shoes and Socks!
- Visit a specialized shoe store such as the Running Room. They have professionals on-site that will be able to find the right pair of shoes and socks for your needs. No two feet are identical!
- An ideal walking shoe should not be too stiff, it should be flexible and compliant with multiple terrains.
- Walking shoes typically have a large portion of mesh to help the foot breathe during activity, allow heat to escape to keep your feet dry and cool.
- Be sure to try your shoes on with the right pair of socks. Select an athletic sock made with synthetic fibers to help wick moisture away from your feet to prevent blisters.
- Test out the shoes before you buy them! Walk around in both shoes and make sure there are no pressure points and that your feet are not rubbing against any portion of the shoe.
- Ask for a pair of socks that have extra padding in the heel and toe areas—these are likely areas for blisters!
- Pack several pairs of socks with you for the Weekend. Be sure to change socks at regular intervals.
Walking Safety Tips!
- Be sure to wear good clothing and shoes. Wear bright, reflective clothing if you are training at night.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Let someone know you are walking route ahead of time, carry your cell-phone with you in case of emergencies.
- Bring a water bottle with you and be sure to hydrate before, during and after your training.
- Take a friend with you and explore new walking trails, be sure to have fun!
Stretches to Improve your Performance!
Walking is a repetitive activity performed in a limited range of motion, which means that the legs are neither fully extended nor fully ﬂexed. Not only will this cause muscles to tighten up, changes like this can lead to chronic problems and injuries.
- Stretches should be done on both sides and held for 15-30 seconds.
Cappino Physiotherapy and Wellness Center offers innovative, hands-on treatment techniques to heal injuries faster and to improve quality of life.
- January 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (1)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (2)
- February 2016 (2)
- January 2016 (2)
- December 2015 (1)
- September 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (2)
- February 2015 (3)
- January 2015 (2)
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (5)
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (5)
- July 2014 (2)
- June 2014 (6)
- May 2014 (7)
- April 2014 (6)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- January 2014 (7)
- December 2013 (5)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (4)
- September 2013 (3)
- August 2013 (4)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (3)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- March 2013 (10)
- March 2012 (9)
- February 2012 (1)